DevSecOps is an approach that combines DevOps and security practices to create a culture of security throughout the entire software development lifecycle. It is designed to address the growing need for secure software delivery and provide organizations with the tools and techniques needed to develop and deploy secure software applications.
DevSecOps is a term used to describe the integration of security into the DevOps process. This approach aims to address the security risks that are often associated with traditional software development and deployment methods. DevSecOps emphasizes collaboration between development, operations, and security teams to ensure that security is integrated throughout the software development lifecycle.
The primary goal is to create a culture of security that permeates throughout the organization. This approach aims to break down silos between development, operations, and security teams, and create a shared understanding of the importance of security in the software delivery process.
The Benefits of DevSecOps
Implementation practices can bring a range of benefits to organizations. Some of these benefits include:
- Improved security: By integrating security into the software development process, organizations can identify and address potential security vulnerabilities early on, reducing the risk of security breaches and other security incidents.
- Faster time-to-market: By automating security testing and integrating security into the DevOps process, organizations can achieve faster time-to-market for their software applications, which can help them stay ahead of their competition.
- Greater collaboration: DevSecOps practices emphasize collaboration between development, operations, and security teams, which can lead to better communication and a shared understanding of the importance of security in the software development process.
- Reduced costs: By identifying and addressing potential security vulnerabilities early on in the software development process, organizations can avoid costly security incidents and reduce the cost of remediation.
Implementing DevSecOps practices requires a cultural shift within organizations. To successfully implement it, organizations need to:
- Break down silos between development, operations, and security teams
- Promote collaboration and communication between teams
- Integrate security into the DevOps process
- Implement security testing and scanning tools
- Automate security testing
- Establish security policies and procedures
- Train employees on security best practices
In conclusion, DevSecOps is an approach that combines DevOps and security practices to create a culture of security throughout the software development lifecycle. It emphasizes collaboration between development, operations, and security teams to integrate security into the DevOps process. Implementing DevSecOps practices can bring a range of benefits to organizations, including improved security, faster time-to-market, greater collaboration, and reduced costs. To successfully implement it, organizations need to promote a culture of security, integrate security into the DevOps process, and train employees on security best practices.
Smashing Security in between Dev and Ops is the wrong way to think about optimizing your DevOps + Security pipeline. Some tend to believe security is a blocker to getting new applications out to production. Owned by some distant, unapproachable team, security can seem like the new deep divide with a ‘throw it over the wall’ mentality.
Security must be sprinkled throughout the DevOps cycle, taught from the beginning when developing best practices and automating compliant infrastructure and owned by both DevOps and Security, working together as a team.
A DevSecOps transformation can help you:
- Deliver software faster and more securely
- Enable collaboration with cross-functional teams
- Improve software and operations quality
- Create a culture of automated, secure processes
- Improve your cloud security posture
2nd Watch has developed a DevSecOps Assessment and Strategy solution to help you target the critical areas for DevSecOps improvement – people, processes, and technology – and develop a roadmap to kickstart your transformation. To learn more about this solution, download our datasheet for details.
-Victoria Geronimo, Product Manager, Security & Compliance