If you’re trying to run your business smarter, not harder, utilizing data to gain insights into decision making gives you a competitive advantage. Cloud data offerings empower utilization of data in the cloud, and the Google Cloud Platform (GCP) is full of options. Whether you’re migrating data, upgrading to enterprise-class databases, or transforming customer experience on cloud-native databases – Google Cloud services can fit your needs.
Highlighting some of what Google has to offer
With so many data offerings from GCP, it’s nearly impossible to summarize them all. Some are open source projects being distributed by other vendors, while others were organically created by Google to service their own needs before being externalized to customers. A few of the most popular and widely used include the following.
- BigQuery: Core to GCP, this serverless, scalable, multi-cloud, data warehouse enables business agility – including data manipulation and data transformation, and it is the engine for AI, machine learning (ML), and forecasting.
- Cloud SQL: Traditional relational database in the cloud that reduces maintenance costs with fully managed services for MySQL, PostgreSQL, and SQL Server.
- Spanner: Another fully managed relational database offering unlimited scale, consistency, and almost 100% availability – ideal for supply chain and inventory management across regions and between two databases.
- Bigtable: Low latency, NoSQL, fully managed database for ML and forecasting, using very large amounts of data in analytical and operational workloads.
- Data Fusion: Fully managed, cloud-native data integration tool that enables you to move different data sources to different targets – includes over 150 preconfigured connectors and transformers.
- Firestore: From the Firebase world comes the next generation of Datastore. This cloud-native, NoSQL, document database lets you develop custom apps that directly connect to the database in real-time.
- Cloud Storage: Object based storage can be considered a database because of all the things you can do with BigQuery – including using standard SQL language to query objects in storage.
After more than 10 years of development, BigQuery has become a foundational data management tool for thousands of businesses. With a large ecosystem of integration partners and a powerful engine that shards queries across petabytes of data and delivers a response in seconds, there are many reasons BigQuery has stood the test of time. It’s more than just super speed, data availability, and insights.
Standard SQL language
If you know SQL, you know BigQuery. As a fully managed platform, it’s easy to learn and use. Simply populate the data and that’s it! You can also bring in large public datasets to experiment and further learn within the platform.
If you don’t have Looker, Tableau, or another type of business intelligence (BI) tool to visualize dashboards off of BigQuery, you can use the software development kit (SDK) for web-based front-end data display. For example, government health agencies can show the public real-time COVID-19 case numbers as they’re being reported. The ecosystem of BigQuery is so broad that it’s a source of truth for your reports, dashboards, and external data representations.
Analogous across offerings
Coming from on-prem, you may be pulling data into multiple platforms – BigQuery being one of them. GCP offerings have a similar interface and easy navigation, so functionality, user experience, and even endpoint verbs are the same. Easily manage different types of data based on the platforms and tools that deliver the most value.
One of the latest GCP services was built with a similar API and platform console to various other platforms. The compatibility enables you to query data living in other places using standard SQL. With BigQuery Omni, you can connect and combine data from outside GCP without having to learn a new language.
Ready for the next step in your cloud journey?
As a Google Cloud Partner, 2nd Watch is here to be your trusted cloud advisor throughout your cloud data journey, empowering you to fuel business growth while reducing cloud complexity. Whether you’re embracing cloud data for the first time or finding new opportunities and solutions with AI, ML, and data science our team of data scientists can help. Contact Us for a targeted consultation and explore our full suite of advanced capabilities.
-Sam Tawfik, Sr Product Marketing Manager